Friday, January 06, 2006

The tongue

Please let me know if anyone has similar experience to what I will describe below. I would love to hear about it and see if my theory has much merit.

In the summer of 1996, good friends of our's had a 4 month old daughter. I remember, because I am thinking in particular of B's first birthday party. EVERY TIME we looked at that baby, she had her tongue HANGING out of her mouth. I mean, it was hardly ever inside her mouth. My hubby commented. Many time. I think it bugged him or something. He seemed disturbed by it. I laughed and thought it was cute. I did wonder, however.

Then we thought about it, and my friend, the baby's mother, often stuck her tongue out. Like, you know when a person winks or has a certain habit they do to let you know they are joking or just having fun or whatever?? She does that in those cases!Just flashes it out really quick, almost the way a snack does. I go cross eyed. Not sure why. Just a habit I developed. Our oldest, L, gets a real kick out of it. I actually wish I could stop it.

Anyway, we thought maybe it was a genetic thing with her family. Females just keep their tongues OUTSIDE the mouth, instead of inside.

Since then, we took note of all the females we ever saw, especially babies, that had their tongues out. There always seem to be plenty to see. Anyone else noticed this?? I am thinking there is something with females. Some reason we must do this. I have only come across 2 males in my life who do it sometimes. And they are both my brothers:) Don't yell at me guys, I am not naming names! LOL Mainly, it is females, though.

In 2000, we had a daughter of our own. Almost from day one, THE TONGUE! I need to find a picture of her that I can put out here...ok I found a few. I have about three, I think I will post them all:) They are all when she was around 3 months of age.

She has since kept it in her mouth for the most part, but until she was about 9 or 10 months old, it hardly ever was. Same with our friend's daughter. She will be 10 next month and I have not seen her tongue in YEARS! LOL So everything turns out fine in the end.

Hubby claims I always have mine half in and half out of my mouth. I think he is full of beans. I need to have it out sometimes to concentrate. SOMETIMES. Here and there. Once in a while, you know???

A few weeks ago I noticed he was walking around the house doing things, with his tongue stuck out just a bit, looking like a cat when it is done grooming itself. One of the kids asked him what he was doing and he said "I am just being like your Mom." HUMPH. MEN.



No comments: